Water Damage Checklist
When water damage strikes, it’s important to take the necessary steps to protect your property and your well-being.
We have compiled a list of steps to take during such an emergency. Call KleenRite 24 hours a day with any water damage emergency questions at 217-351-4930.
What to do when you encounter a loss:
- Remove family and pets from the affected area.
- Turn off water source if possible.
- Turn off electricity at the main breaker if possible just until the leak is fixed.
- Call your local plumber.
- Call KleenRite.
- Call your insurance company to see if this loss is covered.
- If possible move valuables, books, family heirlooms, etc to a high and dry area.
- If possible lift wood and metal furniture off the carpeted areas by using aluminum foil, paper plates, or anything plastic. This will help eliminate furniture stains and rust stains that can be left by these items.
- Capture photos of all damaged items as your insurance company will need to see these.
While we’ve talked about the things to-do during a water loss, there are a few things you should never do during a flood.
- Do not turn on overhead light fixtures if water damage has occurred in the ceiling.
- Do not enter a room with standing water if the electricity is still active.
- Do not attempt to remove water with a home vacuum. Wait for the professionals at KleenRite.
- Do not use any electrical appliance in the home, until the water has been removed.
Do not try to repair or fix the problem as it could be dangerous.